People of all ages and backgrounds come to the Y learn to swim, for water safety education, and to meet their health and wellness goals in the pool. Lifeguards are essential to ensuring a safe environment for those individuals. The lifeguard creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas.
Join a forward-thinking non-profit organization in furthering our mission to provide programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all!
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.)
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned
- One to two years related experience preferred
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques
- Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child
The Y: We're for Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility